Now, I understand that by immersing themselves in religious teachings and values, these inmates can better understand their mistakes and maybe eventually repent, but I really do believe that there are some people that are simply bad to the core. I am not sure if I like the idea of a murderer or a rapist or a child molester roaming around our cities and streets, despite the fact that they have memorised the holy Quran. How do we know that once these inmates are back in the 'real world', they won't get the urge to commit a crime again?
Here's how the exemption system works:
- Memorisation of the whole Quran: 20 years exemption
- 20 sections: 15 years exemption
- 15 sections: 10 years exemption
- 10 sections: 5 years exemption
- 5 sections: One year exemption
- 3 sections: Six months exemption