Monday, February 20, 2006

Expired

What's with ads running past their due date in this country?

This weekend, I noticed that in Abu Dhabi, some lamposts are still carrying some ads for the Abu Dhabi Golf Tournament, which took place between the 19th and 22nd of January. The event ended almost a month ago! Surely they must have had the time to remove these? I'd understand if it was just a few days, or a week after the event, but a whole month! That's exaggerating a bit don't you think?

And yesterday morning, I heard a radio ad for an event at Trilogy, with DJ John Digweed, which had happened two days before (i.e. last Friday the 17th). Hmm... Not good.

And what about those "Space Wanted" ads (again, on lamposts) for the new Nissan Tiida which ran at the end of last year? The teaser campaign lasted for practically 2 months!! I really think that 2 months is waaaay too long for a teaser. At the beginning, I was actually intrigued by these ads and wondered what the product was, but by the 3rd week, I was just so sick and tired of seeing them. And now I actually cannot stand seeing any Tiida ad. I don't know if the teaser campaign was intended to run this long, but I have a feeling the ad agency working on the account decided to keep those stupid ads up there until they finished up their work on the reveal ads...

I am sure there are many more examples out there that I just haven't noticed yet. "Expired" ads are a no-no in my book. It really does not do a whole lot of good for the brand's credibility!

No comments: