Saturday, March 04, 2006

What's the point?


The Oscars are taking place tomorrow, at around 8PM eastern time. And MBC4 is airing them live.

While I commend MBC4 for airing the ceremony the same day it's happening in the US, will anyone really be watching it? It'll be 5AM UAE time!!! What's the point?

I usually enjoy watching the Oscars, mostly because I like to see what the stars are wearing...the awards themselves are somewhat boring, and way too long! I've never watched an Oscars ceremony that lasted less than 3 hours at least.

Anyway, here's a list of the nominees. I haven't watched many of the movies that were nominated, except for Pride and Prejudice, Walk the Line, Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, and Crash. All excellent movies (Walk the line was my favorite among all the ones I just mentioned).

It'll be interesting to see if Paradise Now wins. The movie about two Palestinian childhood friends who are recruited for a suicide bombing has caused a lot of controversy, mainly because it's been identified as a Palestinian movie by the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences. Many Israelis have lobbied to have that label changed to Palestinian Authority.

More controversy was caused by the film Munich, directed by Steven Spielberg. This movie has also been accused by pro-Israeli groups of being too "pro-Palestinian", and of portraying Israeli security policies under a negative light.

I guess we'll just have to wait and see what happens tomorrow. Stay tuned!

No comments: