Wednesday, December 21, 2005

Big Brother is Watching

According to 6Days, the UAE government is planning to compile a database of DNA samples from all its residents, nationals and expats. Saliva samples would be taken when one applies for their "unified national identification card" (what the hell is that? Do I even have one of those?).

So what next? Does the government want to implant a tracking device in my arm to follow my every move? I am sorry but I don't understand why the government needs a sample of my DNA? Apparently it's to help police solve crimes but how do I know that my DNA information will not be misused? Are there any privacy laws in the UAE?

Isn't it enough that I have to give practically everyone I meet a copy of my passport? And 12 passport-sized pictures? And a copy of my driver's license? And a letter stating my salary? And a copy of my father's passport? And a blood sample? And my mobile number?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Search for apartments for rent in Dubai at http://www.rightdoors.com and save yourself from paying commission! All you need is just pay a fixed agency fee of AED 999!