Friday, May 12, 2006

War of the movies


A few months ago, it was Brokeback Mountain. Then, to a certain extent, Syriana. And now, it's the Da Vinci Code.

The debate around these movies has been endless, spurring many a Letter to the editor in 6Days. The Da Vinci Code movie will be coming out here at the end of the month, with only one scene deleted (the part where the Albino goes to church and gets naked. I read the book a couple of years ago and don't remember that particular part with the Albino. I think I should re-read the book before the movie comes out. Or maybe after I've seen the movie, so I can watch it without comparing it to a freshly read book. We'll see.)

Anyway, going back to the Da Vinci Code movie: some people want to see it, others say it is offensive and should be banned from movie theaters. In Jordan, both the movie and the book are banned.

It's all pretty stupid if you ask me. Whether it be Brokeback Mountain, or Syriana, or Da Vinci Code, there's really no need to ban movies. We are all adults, we can all think for ourselves, and we can all make our own decisions. If I believe a movie will offend me, then I simply won't watch it. Period.

I, for example, don't like scary movies. I simply don't get the same kind of thrill out of them as some people do. Sure, there are exceptions (like the Sixth Sense for example, which I loved), but in general, I make it a point to not watch horror flicks.

Now, imagine if all the people who get freaked out by horror movies started complaining about whether they should be aired here or not. And then the censor guys decide not to play any horror flicks in cinemas here because a small section of the population hates them....

Sounds ridiculous, doesn't it? Well, so is banning any other movie.

Those who are opposing the airing of the Da Vinci Code should keep in mind that this is a work of fiction. It has been proven that many of the concepts Dan Brown writes about are made up. So everyone needs to just chill out and let each person decide for him or herself whether the movie is worth watching or not.

1 comment:

Mar said...

Let's see what words they'll chop off in this one this time ;)