Monday, November 28, 2005

Banking issues, and other stories

The bank saga continues. As you may be aware, I have been attempting to get a credit card for the past couple of months now. Sure, laziness on my part plays a role in the delay, but my stupid bank is not helping either. Here are the latest developments:

Last Wednesday, I get a call from a bank employee telling me the passport and driver's license copies I faxed them are not clear, and asked to come to my office to pick up clearer copies. He shows up, I give him the papers, he makes me fill out the application form again because there was a small scribble on the old one. He tries to sell me a special edition World Cup credit card, I say no thank you. End of story.

Or so I thought.

The next day, I get another call from the same guy asking me for my mother's maiden name (you try to spell that name on the phone, talking to a guy that can't construct a proper sentence in English). Then he asks me what my permanent address is in Canada. I tell him I live in Dubai now. He then insists I give him an address in Canada because my passport is Canadian. I say, but I don't have a permanent address there, I live here now. He simply would not understand and was only satisfied when I gave him the name of the Canadian city I lived in. End of story.

Or so I thought again...

Today, I get a call from another person at the bank: "Hello does T.H. work there", I say yes, I am T.H. "Oh..no can I speak to someone from HR?" (It seems they do this to check the validity of the information you have given them). So I try to transfer the call to someone from HR. I ask the woman to hold the line. Try to call one person in HR, no answer. Fumble with the phone while I try to contact another person in HR. Finally manage to dial that person's extension. Phone rings a few times before HR picks up. As soon as HR picks up.....the bank person hangs up!!!!! And doesn't call back!!!!!!!!!!! Arrrrrrrrghhhhhhhhhhhhh.

And so the saga continues...

In other news, I read this morning that a container carrying chewing gum overturned in Dubai yesterday, and fell straight on top of a cab killing its driver and passenger. The stupid truck driver was apparently speeding and had to break suddenly. Also, it seems the containers were not properly fixed on the trucks. I don't know why but I was so upset about this! Because of some stupid idiot's bad driving skills and lack of conscientiousness, 2 innocent souls have lost their lives! How can 2 people die just like that, because of a freak accident? You can check out the pics of the horrific accident on Gulf News and Emirates Today.

3 comments:

sky said...

Leave that bank...and now!
Idiots
It cannot possibly take THAT long.

Yeah the car accident is horrific. They need to do something about dumb drivers who don't lock their containers. Carelessness...it's the staple of the Gulf.

Keef said...

Credit card companies here are an absolute joke. I refuse to have one, but my wife has one. The pain and anguish these people put her through are just unbelievable (she's with meBank - be advised!).

Dubai Sunshine said...

I am learning this the hard way. I still do not have my credit card! It's been over 2 weeks since my application was sent. Latest update: my application has been approved (!!) but the bank has yet to issue my credit card. I think I'll throw a party when I do finally get it!