Thursday, January 05, 2006

Weekends and working hours

When will the UAE finally decide to implement one common weekend for everyone? And common working hours for everyone?

For example:
My weekends are on Friday-Saturday.
My sister's weekends are on Thursday-Friday.
My brother's weekends are a half day on Thursday and all of Friday.
My father's weekends are on Friday only.

It would definitely make sense for everyone to have the same weekend. I once called someone for a work-related matter on a Thursday afternoon, and nearly got my head bitten off because the guy was so upset I called him during his weekend. How was I supposed to know?

And it would also definitely make sense for everyone to have a 2-day weekend! I still don't understand why some companies give their employees just one day off. It's not normal. People need two days off to rest,to go out and to relax.

And how come everybody's working hours are different? I work 9-6 officially (9-extremely late unofficially). My dad works 2 shift days, i.e 9-1 and 4:30-7:30. Some companies start at 8:30 and finish at 5:30. Oil and gas companies start at 7 and finish at 3. I am sure there are other companies with odd timings out there. Can't we all agree on one schedule to make things easier for everyone?

3 comments:

moryarti said...

I totally agree with you.

It does make a lot of sense to unify weekends and working hours, but surely NOT in Dubai at its current road system condition..

The only reason Dubai traffic is still in slow motion and not at a complete halt is that people here have various working house/schedules:

1st wave 5:00-6:00am (construction workers)

2nd wave 6:30 - 7:00 students and school teachers

3rd wave: 7:00 - 7:30 government employees

then you have white collars that start work at 7:30, 8:00, 8:30 and 9:00. leaving at various times.

Finally, you have shops/malls/restaurants employees all starting work at 10:00

Now, imagine all these waves going to and from work everyday at the same time on the same days. I highly doubt any transportation infrastructure can withhold such load .. let alone Dubai’s awful road setup..

Dubai Sunshine said...

OK, you're absolutely right about the different work schedules helping with the traffic...I hadn't thought of that :)

But why can't we all have the same weekend? Doesn't it make sense for all members of the same family to have the same weekend?

moryarti said...

very true .. in my old job, i was on a fri/sat while the Mrs is on a thur/fri.

Now, we both are on a thur/fri weekend which is much much better