Friday, May 11, 2007

Why...why?

I sometimes wish I could blog about my work...I'd rather not for confidentiality purposes...and also because I'd rather this blog remains anonymous (except for the few people who know me and who know that I write this blog).

But I really, really wish I was at liberty to discuss some conversations or meetings I have with my clients, and some of the things that come out of their mouthes sometimes. If only you knew the number of times I've stared at my phone in disbelief while my client is babbling away...Or the number of times I've gotten out of meetings so frustrated, that the only thing I can do is laugh about it...

There are stupid people everywhere, but it's really scary when you think that these people are handling multinational brands. I often wonder how these people are even allowed to remain in the positions they are in...If I think that my clients are stupid, then what does that say about the bosses that hired them in the first place? Are they even more stupid?

Deadling with stupid clients is frustrating, mind-numbing, and unfortunately, there's nothing I can do about it. I sometimes wonder why I put up with it and if it's even worth it.

This post is purely for venting purposes by the way. This past week has been rough work-wise, and by Thursday evening, I was feeling drained...both mentally and physically. I desperately need this weekend to just sleep, go the the beach, sleep, get some shopping done, sleep some more and watch some TV. I didn't even want to think about work and yet here I am writing about it...

Help!

14 comments:

KJ said...

Clients are assholes in any company. Unfortunately, they have to exist so that you feel better about the person you are.

Boyd Jones said...

Business would be great if it weren't for those damned customers! Who needs them! :-P LOL

BuJ said...

hey it's great u can laugh about these things.. still u can post about it.. just make it confidential to protect their confidentiality (as if you care) hehe.. also u don't need to mention names, just the story.

glad u use this to vent.. yalla bissalame..

try to remember.. some people work to live and some live to work.. try to belong to the first group.

secretdubai said...

Here's my tip: wait at least a month, then blog about it as an anecdote from "an associate". And change obvious details. If it's an IT client, make it a financial one. If it's a Jordanian, make it an Egyptian, or switch a South African for a New Zealander.

The essence of a story is the critical thing, not the details.

Oh - and do write it down offline beforehand - otherwise you may forget it after your "safety month" has passed.

Dubai Sunshine said...

SD...you seem to have some experience in the domain of confidentiality :)

Those are some good tips...thanks...

Buj...loved your quote in the end. I'll keep reminding myself of it...

Boyd...if only a life without clients existed!

KJ...not all clients are assholes...I actually have some really cool clients, luckily...I think they're the ones who keep me sane.

Rambling Hal said...

Yup, I know what u mean. I hate stupid people. Hate.

In fact, stupid people SUCK.

travel girl said...

Oh, you have no idea...it sounds like you work in the private sector. Try working for a government! I've never seen anything like it, and would never have believed it without seeing it with my own eyes...
I completely understand your frustration...
Keep your chin up!

i*maginate said...

LOL sounds like my daily escapades in the world of work, unfortunately I dream about them at night too. Buj/SD got any remedies for that? hheheheh

Here's to our annoying clients. As if we would behave like that too HAHA

Anonymous said...

What about stupid suppliers that just don't get it.

Stupidity works both ways

Anonymous said...

hiii D.SH can i take ur email?

BuJ said...

i*maginate and dxbsunshine.. I guess the trick is to believe that your clients need you more than you need them.. and u sleep better at night.

We're professionals after all. There are many clients in the sea.

Sorry, I know it's a bit self-centered, but you gotta watch out for numero uno.

i*maginate said...

Yup we should now answer calls from clients saying "Wtf do you want NOW?" LOL. Think it would work? I'd love to try it!

sca = suppliers, another ball game. They're usually worse than your clients coz you have to do the calling up and chasing. Then you become their client from hell! It's a vicious cycle!

Off to sleep now and dreaming of work...how lovely!

BuJ said...

I*.. actually once i had a call from an annoying guy from work.. and he was so annoying and with a croaking voice (he was also welsh).. i put him on speakerfone for a full 15min or so while he made a fool of himself.. then i said that i'll get back to him and hung up..

made my day a tad more interesting.. or fun at least.

flamin said...

Oh, I hear ya! That's why I made my blog by invite-only. I now blog everyday about my personal incidents that I feel like writing about. Earlier, I was getting wary of what I would write on the blog because I knew the wrong people might be reading it. I'm lovin' the whole secret blog thing...lol!