Monday, July 02, 2007

I'm worried...

I've been out of the country for a few days and came back today to news of Salik disasters from many friends and colleagues.

Having driven straight from Abu Dhabi to work this morning, I did not really experience the wrath of Salik. But apparently, the past couple of days have been disastrous for people leaving the Greens to get to anywhere! Just as I had predicted, the Greens exit being the last free exit before the Barsha toll gate, it's now become the place where traffic chaos reigns. A colleague told me it took her 50 minutes to get to Media City from the Greens yesterday.

Apparently, al Sufouh road, which was a blessing (because it took me between 7-10 minutes to get to work) has now become a scene of bumper-to-bumper mess.

The way home is not any better, with al Sufouh jam-packed again. I got my own taste of the Salik medicine this evening. I left work at 7:20 from Media City, and got home around 25 minutes later. Not so bad, some of you may think...well, it used to take me 10 minutes pre-Salik, and I would never ever get stuck in traffic on al Sufouh past 7PM.

I would like to take a minute to thank Emirates News on Dubai One, for providing me with a good 10 minutes of comic relief this evening. According to them, life is rosy again in Dubai thanks to Salik. The only news they reported was that it took people half the time to get from Sharjah into Dubai, and that Sheikh Zayed road was clear most of the day today. They also interviewed a few people who did nothing but praise the arrival of Salik.

Hmm...is that really the truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth? I doubt.

Incidentally, Emirates News is now at 8:30PM instead of 7:30PM. Is it because they wanted to give people more time to get home from work now that Salik is in place?

No comments: