Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Oh Etisalat...you drive me nuts!

I've said this time and time again, but there is a serious problem with customer service in this country...and this is applicable to almost anything, from moving companies, to banks, to restaurants...and of course, telecom companies. Given that Etisalat is practically a monopoly, it doesn't really make the effort to invest in its customer service.

Case in point, my sister wanted to get her phone service changed from prepaid to postpaid, AND she wanted to get roaming service as well. Did she manage to do both these things at once? Of course not. She had to change to postpaid first, wait for a couple of days, then go back to get roaming service. And of course, she had to present a passport copy every time, because God forbid Etisalat keeps these on record in their files.

A couple of months ago, I also switched to postpaid. I had a business trip during the month of April and needed to expense some of the calls I made. I waited for the bill but did not get it. I got an SMS from Etisalat telling me what the total amount was, but I did not get a detailed bill.

I thought it was an address issue or something along the lines, but then I got my May bill, and the address was fine. So I called Etisalat to ask them for a detailed bill for April. You'd think that it would be a simple request...I mean, how hard is it for them to contact their billing department and ask them to send me a copy of the bill? Or to give me access to my detailed bill on my online account?

Noooo....of course not...because that would make it too simple and far too efficient...

Instead, I have to go to an Etisalat office (and not just any branch at a mall...it HAS to be an actual office), with a copy of my ID of course, to get them to either give me a copy of the bill OR to get them to give me access to my detailed bill online.

Totally, absolutely ridiculous! Almost as ridiculous as having to go to a bank and fill up a form in order to set up Internet banking!

21 comments:

2020hindsight said...

Oh deary deary me. How on earth can you criticise the wonder that is ItIsALot's Customer Service ?

After all it did win the "Best in Dubai 2009" award for the "Best Customer Service in Dubai", as voted for by the great Dubai public.

I fell about laughing when I read that. It was almost as good as the ITP Special Award last year to Belhasa Driving Centre as ""the group or organisation that has gone above and beyond the call of duty to enhance the lives of Dubai residents".

ItIsALot know as much about "Customer Service" as Belhasa know about teaching people to drive safely, carefully, considerately.

Seabee said...

It amuses, no infuriates, me that with all the e-Everything we keep being told about most companies still demand that we go in person to their offices with copies of passport and two passport photos to do the simplest transaction.

2020hindsight said...

This predelication with prefixing everything with an "e-" really winds me up .... did anyone read about the e-cigarette (http://www.thenational.ae/article/20090531/NATIONAL/705309824/1010/rss).

Dave said...

It actually infuriates me that they do not seem to be getting any better either.

Whilst some Govt entities and organisations do seem to be making a genuine effort to leap into this millenium, Etisalat remains a Customer Circus organisation...

moryarti said...

very sad .. especially when anyone can see that these problems can easily be solved with a decent CRM solution...

Oman said...

Trying to change provider in Oman and keep your number – pay the old bill in full, take that proof of payment to the new company, get a temporary number, get your old number transferred – cut off and then a few days later your old number is linked to the new provider

Anonymous said...

same situation experienced with Etisalat, they will drive you nuts really!!!

DubaiXpats said...

Welcome to Dubai Xpats one of the best guides to helping new expats get settled in and also
helping experienced expats find things to do in Dubai.you can able to know about
dubai
uae
jobs
things to do
how to dubai
kids
new to dubai

jimmy jhon said...

it is nice share good to know that lovely share
Desert Safari Dubai
dhow cruise dubai

Sajith Raju said...

i am finding some blog regarding Dubai Desert Safari for my blog if u have some information then kindly share with us

mujahid ali said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Muhammad Amjad said...

Belly dance is most attractive activity and dancer really inspire the tourists. Desert Safari

accountants said...

Hurrah, that’s what I was exploring for, what a stuff! existing here at this blog, thanks admin of this web site.
Chartered Accountants in Dubai

offshore companies said...

It’s delightful. An enjoyable read.
company formation dubai
dubai offshore company

dubai offshore companies said...

very good post, i actually love this web site, carry on it
uae offshore company incorporation

offshore dubai said...

Thanks for sharing this wonderful Information.Great job.
International Business Company dubai

uae companies said...

I found this article to be a very interesting find! Thank you for sharing with us!
offshore company formation in dubai

g farmen said...

nice place to enjoy in Dubai is desert safari Dubai.

g farmen said...

Dubai dune Buggy one of the great place where you can enjoy.

g farmen said...

best fun in Dubai is dune bashing in Dubai.

Fatima mohammad said...

If you have facing problems with your children there is a solution to help you to solve it because there is a conducting improve efficiently students’ cognitive learning skills including attention, concentration and memory, analytical and mathematical skills...etc. Develop multiple intelligences such as linguistic, mathematical, creative and practical intelligences by using the latest scientific tools and methods. For moreinformation this link will help you.
http://excellence4education.com/intelligence.html
www.excellence4education.com